What is Snagging?
"Snagging" is a necessary process of identifying issues with your new build property. For homeowners, it is a notoriously stressful and time-consuming process which lasts months or even years. Some developers pressure customers to give them a snag list within just 7 days after completion whilst others are more flexible. Snagging issues range from leaks, heating faults, un-level ceilings and walls, damaged units. poor joinery and structural issues.
The importance of hiring a snagging company is that we are experts in identifying hundreds of issues issues quickly with specialist equipment, and providing one comprehensive snag list for you and the builder to easily follow.
A professional snagging company takes away this burden and during a typical 5 hour inspection a HomeSnag inspector will capture more than 150 snags which are all photographed, time-stamped and tagged with the trades required.
Snagging a house or apartment is a specialist field and an important part of buying new build to the extent that most solicitors recommend using a professional snagging company before funds are sent to the builder. One of the benefits of buying a new build house or apartment is that a governing body such as the NHBC will guarantee the quality of the build and provide a 10 warranty. That means that there shouldn't be any issues right? Wrong...
An inspector sent on behalf of your builder will inspect that the house has been built within building "tolerances" but will not pay any attention to the final finish. This is why a professional snagging inspector is required to check the quality after the inspection from the likes of a NHBC or LABC inspector.
Builders are rated by customers in a HBF rating system but this doesn't give an indication as to the quality of the finish from site to site. Some of the worst new build hand-overs we have snagged have been from a 5 star company. If you have bought from a large volume builder, see how they are rated here.
Most offer a warranty period between 2-5 years which means there is no immediate cut-off point for you to instruct our company to snag your house. However it is advisable for you to book your snagging inspection 2-4 weeks prior to completion which should be the timescale your builder has finished. It gives your builder time to address the issues our snaggers have raised before you move in, which is beneficial to both parties.
Benefits of using GH Professional Snagging
- Guarantee the quality of your home both now and when you come to sell!
- GH Snagging will ensure your home is defect free before your warranty expires and will save you thousands.
- Snagging is a necessary process of identifying issues with your new build property.
- Most PLC house builders ask you for your “snag“ report in the first week of moving in.
- NHBC will guarantee the quality of the build and provide 10 years warranty. That means there shouldn’t be any issues right? Wrong!
- Lots of things get missed, including the finished quality prior to you moving in.
- GH Professional Snagging not only ensure nothing gets left un-turned but passion, quality and price are the three quality attributes to becoming the best.